Ammonia Alert is an innovative color device for continuous toxic-free ammonia detection and monitoring . A sensor reversibly changes from yellow to green to blue, relative to ammonia concentration. No test kits, chemicals, or procedures are needed. The device detects less than 0.05 mg/L (ppm) of free ammonia and alerts you to the #1 killer before any signs of stress. It lasts more than a year . For use in marine or freshwater aquariums.
In the absence of free ammonia, the unit will assume a yellowish or faint yellow color. It is normal for the dry sensor to have a greenish tint . The dry sensor may take a few days to equilibrate with water. No water sampling, chemicals, or testing procedures are required. The presence of free ammonia is continuously detectable with a response time of approximately 15 minutes. The response to ammonia depletion is slower, requiring approximately 4 hours to go from TOXIC to SAFE by removing ammonia.
Ammonia Alert lasts over 9 times longer than competitive products (over a year compared to 4-6 weeks). Ammonia Alert is also nearly half the size of competitive products (1.5" x 2.5"). It's small, clear and unobtrusive, so it won't affect the view of your aquarium.
Seachem sensor technology
Continuously monitors the level of ammonia in the aquarium
No tests, no strips
For marine and freshwater aquariums
Instructions for use
> As little as 0.02 mg/L of free ammonia will produce a greenish hue on the detector surface. This corresponds to a total ammonia (both ionized and free ammonia) of 0.25 mg/l in seawater at pH 8.3. In fresh water at pH 7.0, this corresponds to 3.6 mg/L total ammonia. Free ammonia is much more toxic than ionized ammonia. As free ammonia, ALERT color corresponds to about 0.05 mg/L, ALARM to about 0.2 mg/L, and TOXIC to about 0.5 mg/L. The concentration of ALERT is tolerated for several days, ALARM for a few days, and TOXIC is rapidly harmful For emergency ammonia removal, try AmGuard. This product is not recommended for use at acid pH.
No care is required beyond removing the algae with a clean, soft material. Avoid touching the sensor with your fingers, as skin oils can damage it. Do not use bleach, soap, detergents, or hard objects to clean the sensor. Some dye medications can discolor the sensor. Sensitivity improves with age as long as the unit is not allowed to dry out, however drying does not permanently damage the unit. For maximum sensitivity, the unit should be read under natural light or daylight simulating light. The red enhancement light minimizes green and blue tones, lowering the unit's apparent sensitivity. The response of the unit can be checked by holding it briefly over the mouth of a bottle of ammonia: the color should develop rapidly.